MSA 202 is based on newspaper articles from different parts of the Arab world. The articles revolve around a number of themes, and the structure of the language is discussed and reviewed. Course material focuses on professional topics, including: crime, health, Arab markets, diseases in modern societies, Arab Songs. At the end of the course, you should be able to read Arabic newspapers with a good general understanding, especially on familiar topics. You should be able to express yourself by combining and recombining known elements.
Completion of this course requires 80 hours.
Learning Outcomes for the Course
By the completion of MSA 202, students will be able to:
- Read newspaper articles and understand consistently with increased understanding simple connected texts on a variety of topics.
- Expand your speech beyond social interactions to discuss some of the problems that are of interest to Arabs.
- Comprehend linguistically noncomplex written texts on familiar topics.
- Comprehend simple audio/video texts on familiar topics.
- Express their views and impart basic information about issues that are of interest to the educated people in the Arab world.
This course is designed to assist students to enhance their abilities to comprehend newspaper articles and discuss topics with educated Arabs revolving around:
The course comprises 15 newspaper articles revolving around 5 topics:
The following are the components of the evaluation criteria for the course:
- Online activities (40%)
- Writing assignments (20%)
- Tests (40%)