So, you want to learn an Arabic language? If you’re a native English speaker, this might be quite the difficult undertaking!
Arabic is widely considered as one of the hardest languages for English speakers to learn. It has a non-Latin alphabet, a right-to-left writing and reading system and excludes a lot of vowels from words. Add all of that on top of eight different dialects in total, and you suddenly find yourself facing a seemingly insurmountable challenge!
Fortunately, you aren’t alone in wanting to learn Arabic. Many have come before you and succeeded. You can, too.
If you’re looking for Arabic language learning tips and hacks, you’ve come to the right place. Keep reading to get the top 5 tips from people who have been in your shoes.
- Set Reasonable Goals: Before you even attempt to read an Arabic word, it’s always a good idea to set some goals for yourself. Why do you want to learn Arabic?
(Hint: this doesn’t have to be some earth-shattering revelation!)
When you set a goal, you get a set of key vocabulary with which to start. For example, if you want to learn Arabic to impress someone you’re interested in dating, you can start learning the language of love and courting. If you want to learn the lyrics to your favorite Arabic songs, you can start by learning the vocabulary used in those songs.
- Mnemonics Can Drive Learning: Do you remember PEMDAS from your elementary school days? This is a common mnemonic device that helped you learn the order of operations for mathematics.
You can employ similar devices for learning an Arabic language. Arabic words don’t really bear similarities to their English counterparts, so mnemonic devices provide a fun and unique way to remember specific words and phrases.
- Learn from a Native Speaker: One of the best ways to learn any language is to learn from a native speaker of that language. This is especially true with Arabic. Learning from a native Arabic speaker gives you deeper insight into idioms, colloquialisms and subtle pronunciations.
Today’s world of technology allows you to achieve this hack easier than ever before. With video calling, online forums and online immersion programs, you can connect to a native speaker in seconds and immerse yourself in the language without leaving the comfort of your home.
- Work on Memorizing Entire Phrases: While it’s essential to learn grammar, vocabulary words and the alphabet, it’s also important that you start learning entire phrases. A good place to start is by learning polite phrases and other niceties. These can often spark entire conversations, especially since Arabs certainly love compliments (as we all do!).
Find commonly used phrases in Arabic newspapers and literature. You’ll be able to catch onto using those phrases in your own speech, which can only serve to make you sound more fluent.
- Consume Arabic Media: One of the best tips you can follow when learning Arabic is to interact with the language in one way or another every day. If you don’t live in or near an Arabic country, this can prove to be difficult if you don’t know where to look.
The more you expose yourself to the language, the more you’ll find yourself recognizing vocabulary and phrases.
These top 5 Arabic language learning hacks offer an excellent starting point for your education, but what if you want to take it to the next level?
At Arab Academy, we are dedicated to giving you the fastest way to learn Arabic. Register for one of our online courses where we can get you started on learning Arabic, regardless of your language level.