Traveling abroad to another country is a fun and enriching experience. Getting exposed to other cultures is both educational and fun. While you’re planning your trip to an Arabic speaking country, you’re likely looking at the cuisine and places of interest. However, have you thought of learning Arabic before you leave?
Arabic is the native language in 27 countries of the Middle East, Northern Africa and the Horn of Africa. While in some of the large city centers of the larger countries English will likely be spoken, one’s cultural experience will be enhanced when you resist the use of English and communicate with locals in their native language.
In most cases, it is the locals who will know the best places to eat and stay as well as offer suggestions for places and sites to see. These local recommendations rival and many times surpass the authenticity and awe-inspiring beauty of the tourism websites and guides.
There are many forms of Arabic that are spoken. The widespread and most recognized is Modern Standard Arabic. If you’ve never learned Arabic or are a beginner still learning and refining your Arabic speaking and listening skills, it can be overwhelming trying to remember all those Arabic words and phrases.
Before you postpone your trip or get overwhelmed, here are some of the most crucial Arabic words and phrases to learn and be ready to use on your trip abroad:
• Do you speak English? Hal tatahdath alenglizia? هل تتحدث الإنجليزية؟
• Where can I get a bus? Ayna yomkinani al hosool ala hafila? أين يمكنني الحصول على حافلة؟
• Where can I get a taxi? Ayna yomkinani al hosool ala sayara ojra? أين يمكنني الحصول على سيارة أجرة؟
• Where can I get a train? Ayna yomkinani al hosool ala al qetar? أين يمكنني الحصول على القطار؟
• I need a doctor a htaj tabeeb أحتاج طبيبا
• I need the police ahtaj ila alshorta? أحتاج إلى الشرطة؟
• How much is this? kam thaman haza كم ثمن هذا؟
• I am. . . and I’m from. . . Ana …ana men…. أنا…أنا من…
• Hello/Goodbye Ahlan / maa alsalama أهلا/ مع السلامة
• Please/Thank you men fadlak/ shokran من فضلك/ شكرً ا
• I’m sorry Ana asif أنا آسف
• Can I have… hal yomkinani alhosool ala … هل يمكنني الحصول على
• Yes/No naam / la نعم/ لا
• What’s your name? ma esmok ما اسمك
• How are you? kaif halak? كيف حالك؟
• Pardon/Please repeat maazira / berjaa al eaada معذرة / برجاء الإعادة
• Sorry I don’t understand Asif la afham آسف لا أفهم
• Where is (the…)? ayn al… أين ال.. .
• Welcome ahlan bek أهلا بك
• I am lost ana ta’h أنا تائه
• Can you help me? hal yomkinak mosaadaty? هل يمكنك مساعدتي؟
• Again, please mara okhra, men fadlak مرة اخرى، من فضلك
• More slowly, please bebot’ men fadlak ببطء، من فضلك
• Great! aazim !عظيم
• I am… ana… .. أنا
• How do I get to (location)? kaif azhab ela (almakan) (كيف أذهب إلى ( المكان
• What time is it? kam alwakt? كم الوقت؟
• Go straight, then turn left/right ezhab ela al tarek almobasher , thom estadr llyasar/ alyamin اذهب إلى الطريق المباشر ، ثم استدر لليسار / اليمين
When visiting an Arabic-speaking country, you’ll find most locals are friendly and happy to help, especially when they hear you communicating with them in their native language. Speaking native Arabic will also improve your Arabic speaking and listening skills and enrich your cultural experience wherever country you choose to visit.
If you are new to the Arabic language, Arab Academy can help you become comfortable and proficient in the language in no time. Our courses are 100% online and taught by native Arabic speakers. Arabic Academy’s program is recognized and used by individuals and colleges around the world. Unlike other language programs, our students get consistent practice in reading and comprehension, listening and speaking through online interactions with classmates and professors.
Arab Academy also offers students an opportunity to enhance their Arabic language skills through face-to-face conversations with locals in Cairo, Egypt through our immersion program.
Students who want to learn proper Modern Standard Arabic fast and effectively can do so with the world-recognized Arab Academy. Contact us at Arab Academy to enroll in our courses or to learn more about our highly esteemed language learning program.